|This large beachfront home is steps to city and ideal location for residence, vacation home or Bed and Breakfast. This home has been nicely updated with all modern features but keeps with its heritage charm including high ceilings and original hardwood. Situated on a large sandy beachfront lot with private boat moorage dock. Oversized triple garage and extra parking with gated entrance make this an excellent group purchase as well.
Constructed in 1928, the McDougall House is of architectural significance as a fine example of the traditional residential styles embraced by successful businessmen in the heyday of the fruit industry.
The House is a large two and one-half storey British Arts and Crafts style-residence, distinguished by its picturesque silhouette and broad cross-gabled roof. It is situated on a beachfront lot at the end of a cul-de-sac at the intersection of McTavish Avenue, McDougall Street and Lake Avenue. Set on the eastern shore of Lake Okanagan and in Kelowna's historic Abbott Street neighbourhood, it is located close to the city centre.
- KEY ELEMENTS THAT DEFINE THE HERITAGE CHARACTER OF THE HOUSE INCLUDE:
- Location on the east shore of Lake Okanagan and orientation to the lake
- Residential form, scale and massing as expressed by its prominent two and one-half storey height and regular plan
- Prominent cross-gabled roof with exposed purlin ends, clad with cedar shingles
- British Arts and Crafts style elements such as roughcast stucco cladding at ground level, cedar shingle siding on the second storey, half-timbering in the gables ends, attic overhang supported by decorative exposed beams and extended bargeboards
- Additional exterior elements such as projecting bay windows and the front door with bevelled glass
- Regular fenestration, including 4-over-1 and 8-over-1 double-hung wooden-sash windows, and diamond leaded windows
- Interior elements such as wooden panelling at entry and original staircase
- Landscape features such as a grassed yard and mature willows.
Single Family Lakeshore
Large two and one-half storey